Saturday, February 17, 2007

What do you mean I cant keep the throttle wide open?

Has anyone noticed something different this time around during Speedweeks?

It seems that we hear a lot more this year that drivers cant keep the throttle wide open in the corners like they have been used to in the past.

After Goodyear brought a new tire that is harder than they have ever run at Daytona, drivers have hated it, and drivers have loved it.

Tony Stewart does not like it, he does not understand why Goodyear would change something that did not need to be changed. I guess he does not like all that sliding around. Granted he does a lot of dirt tracking, which is more being out of control than in control, but the speeds at Daytona can be 4 times faster than on dirt!

Other drivers love it, last night during the Busch race, Carl Edwards liked all the sliding around.

Why though did Goodyear bring a harder tire?

Well probably because Nascar asked them to.

Lets look though at the reasons behind this.

First off, I used to work for a tire manufacturer right in the factory, so I got quite involved in the tire industry.

Second, I have been on the track at Daytona, and right down on my hands and knees on the track, and I can tell you the track is..." well used.."

The track is old, and getting very abrasive.

Abrasive you say?

Wait till you see some up and close pictures of the track so you know what I mean.

But you will have to wait till tommorrow....

Till then visit us online at
Nascar Camping

No comments: