Friday, February 23, 2007

Koni RV Shocks

If you read our website you will remember my post about The Koni shocks that I put on my coach last year.

Actually it might have been 2 years ago, but lets start over shall we?

My 2004 Coach was undershocked right from the factory, this coach and the whole line of them should never have been released for sale.

As with most coaches they come with stock Monroe shocks which on mine where terrible right from the get-go.

Sure the coach drove fine at the start, but I think these shocks wore out very quickly.

Somewhere around the 10-12k mark, I looked for a shock to replace them with.

I looked at Bilstein and Koni.

At first I was leaning towards the Bilstein, but there was one huge problem, they kept telling me they where behind schedule in making them for my coach!

Its not like my coach is a one-off either, it is built on a very popular frame.

So, I then looked at Koni.

What impressed me was that the twin tube Koni was adjustable.

This at first I did not like so much, but after researching more and talking to Justin at Koni Shocks, I felt more comfortable with my decision.

I was one of the 1st people to put the twin tube Koni's on my coach design, and we left the Koni's at the softest setting.

After the Koni's where installed the difference was noticeable immediately.

Even before I got on the road, I noticed less side to side rock and roll, which is very prevalent to motorhome drivers.

When I got the coach up to speed, I was amazed by the difference, actually giggling like a little kid, I just could not believe how much of a difference it made!

I kept this set-up for a trip from Canada down to Florida and ran around the State, went to Daytona, then over to Talladega, over to Atlanta then back home to Canada.

After getting back home, I had the shocks set up 1 turn, as I thought the rebound was just a little bit to much.

This is what the Koni is all about and where it shines, being totally adjustable.

After setting it up 1 turn, the rebound was less than before so I was happy with the results.

After another year I talked to Justin at Koni Shocks and found out that the new FSD Koni shock was going to be made for my coach soon.

I had heard a lot about the Koni FSD shock, it was for high end coaches only like Prevost and other Tag Axle coaches.

So, when Justin told me they where now being made for my coach, I quickly got 8 of them shipped to me.

Before they where installed my mechanic took it for a ride for a " before and after" report.

After installing the Koni FSD Shocks, my mechanic took it for a test drive and said that it did drive better than before.

I just took it out today for a 1 hour test drive, and I can happily say that yes I to think that the Koni FSD RV Shocks are better than the red twin tube Konis.

If you go to Koni's website you can read more about the Koni FSD Shocks and what they are all about at KONI FSD RV SHOCKS

The big test for the new FSD will be when I can find a road with a lot of quick expansion strips, and I know one road in particular that I want to check out, the Osceola Parkway I think it is on the way into Disney World, man the distance with the bumps on the bridge every 50 feet or so, it is a very unnerving feeling!

So, if you can, I suggest you get the new FSD over the twin tube if they are available for your coach, not that the twin tube was bad in any way, not at all. Its just that the new FSD is better:)

Thats all for now, when I do find that road with the right succession of bumps I will let you know how they did.

Till then visit our Nascar Camping website at Camping at Nascar Races

No comments: