Monday, February 26, 2007

Colonel Sanders 1st Restaurant in Corbin Kentucky


For about 15 years I plowed I-75 North and South and always wanted to stop at Colonel Sanders 1st ever restaurant in Corbin Kentucky, but I always said to myself .." self, wait for the day you are married and can share this with your family.."


So, after all these years, I finally stopped with my girls and went and explored Colonel Sanders 1st ever restaurant.


Frankly it is more than I expected, I had no idea all the history and the story behind the man. You might not be able to read all the signs in the restaurant if you dont have time, but 15 minutes would be good to see everything.


If you got the time, take a good look around the restaurant and look at all the displays and history.


Later on I will post more of a complete story, because I must have 50 pictures in total of everything!


Some hints if you are in your RV and passing through.


The parking lot is small, if you got anything bigger than a 30 footer and towing a car, I would not attempt trying to get into the parking lot. Also, dinner hours are busier with the locals, so parking might be less for your rig.


If you got a big rig and towing I suggest the following.


There is a KOA right at the exit on I-75, great hosts, I have stayed there twice.


If you want to just park your rig and unhook your toad, there is a Loves Travel Stop also at the same exit, I usually fill up with Diesel here.


There is also a Wally World at the same exit, you can also park and un-hook there. I bought my daughters DVD player there and the wife did a lot of shopping there also.


A quick tip to those with big rigs and heavy trailers, Kentucky and Tennesee are very hilly, so make sure your engines are up to temp, and get ready to use that pedal, some of the on ramps are short and up to 15 degrees of slope to get up to the Interstate, and then you are faced with a 7-10 degree grade on top of that. Dont be afraid to floor it literally, with my rig I had the pedal all the way to the floor a few times!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Type "Corbin, Kentucky" in Yahoo Photos, and this picture is the first thing that appears. I have been to Sanders Cafe myself. Adam, England.