Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The New Banking at Bristol Motor Speedway

Are the drivers driving this new track in the right groove?

The new track is reported at 24 degrees at the bottom transitioning up to 30 degrees at the top.

6 degrees is a HUGE amount of banking.

To me this gets me nervous when driving my motorcoach especially through the Jellico Mountains of Tennessee!

The reason why I am asking this, is that here I am watching Nascar Craftsman Truck qualifying and they are not using the high groove.

To me I wonder why, as this would allow a higher speed around the top.

It would be interesting to see Junebug run this new track and see if he takes advantage of the higher banking or not.

Some might say that it is farther around the top, but this would be eliminated by less of a transition between off and on the throttle because of it being a short-track.

Possibly the drivers are simply not used to the track as they have always raced it this way before.

Ryan Mathews who has come to bristol for the 1st time ever summed it up correctly when he said " I have watched the racing here for years on TV but with the new track surface I cant apply anything of what I know."

Wiser words could never have been spoken by a rookie, maybe some veterans need to pay attention to what this kid is saying.

When I watch them pick their line through the corner, it is exactly like they are racing the old track, maybe they just need to be reminded of the new "grooves" and banking around this newly surfaced track.

As I write this Travis just jumped to the provisional pole position, I I noticed that he used the second groove up the track all the way around the corners.

http://www.nascarcamping.com

No comments: