Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Campground and RV Park Reviews

So here we are plowing the highways and by-ways of North America, staying at different campgrounds and Rv parks along the way, so I thought all along why not write about them at the same time?

Why you ask?

Easy, not many people who rate these parks drive the type of rigs like I do, so relying on the books and reviews by others sometimes is like flying blind in a storm.

Also, many rely on the same parks for advertising dollars, so its easy to see that at times their reports are rather...questionable.

The criteria I have for parks is simple, so if you have a rig like I do, then you may find the reviews helpful. If you dont, you still will find them helpful, as I will report on the services that the entire park has for other types of rigs also.

I drive a 40 foot Diesel Pusher with 3 slides, and I tow my car behind, so I always like pull-thrus. I also prefer higher end parks with pools and playgrounds for my daughter. I dont penny-pinch when looking for a overnight spot, and I dont sleep in parking lots. 80% of the time I have the biggest rig in the campground. Now that 45 foot rigs are being allowed in Ontario guess what? yup, we probably will spring for a 2008 45 foot rig next. What this does is make it even harder for us to find a campground that meets what we need.

Do I read and use other campground directories?

Yes, I use Trailer-Life as a general guide and place to start.

But, there is always room for improvement, and in some places a lot of improvement.

Case in point, if you read Trailer Life, you will know their rating system of 3 numbers, like 6/8/9. A perfect park is rated 10/10/10.

Here in Canada we have one yes 1 campground rated 10/10/10.

So, I am sure you get the point how hard it is to get a rating like that.

But, what is in a rating you ask?

Well, I am not going to go into details how its done, but rather I want to share with you a story about how the numbers do not always add up.

For years I tried to get into a RV park south of Titusville on I-95 which had a perfect 10/10/10 rating. After 4 years of trying, I finally made it to the park to check it out.

Boy, was I glad I did.

There was no way I would ever had stayed in that park, not even if you paid me to.

What a disaster that was , I am so glad I went ahead to do a site inspection before paying for a spot there and regretting it. We where going to book for a 1-2 week period, and if we did and arrived there, we would have left after 1 day, and oh by the way, they had a no refund policy.

So, on our website look soon for the beginning of something that hopefully will grow into something great!

Look at our Nascar campers website for more information at Nascar Campers

2 comments:

Randy Charles Morin said...

Awesome blog. I'm an RVer that hopes someday to camp inside an oval.

Anonymous said...

belle parc RV & VACATION RESORT
Florida, Brooksville / Spring Hill

Stayed here and loved it!! Lots of things to do! The new owner Jim is just finishing a 1 million dollar renovation. New Clubhouse, upgrading electrical etc. He let us stay free because he had trucks doing tree work while we were there. He is a nice guy and wants to attract new business but he doesn't allow RV's older than 12 years. The place is gorgeous with 100 year oaks and a spring fed lake. Check them out at RVcountryclub.com.